Thinking About Installing Quartz Countertops?
Quartz countertops are becoming more and more popular as an alternative material for solid surface countertops. Today, I’m going to share with you some important information about the properties of quartz surface that you should know.
Did you know that quartz countertops are a man-made product? Quartz countertops are manufactured by combining pure quartz with small amounts of pigment and resin. I’ve listed below the pros, cons and misconceptions about quartz countertops that I think everyone should be aware of when they are researching this product.
The Benefits of Installing Quartz:
- It is easy to clean
Simply wash with a soft cloth, warm water and mild detergent;
- Quartz is more durable than granite
(for example: quartz produced by Cambria contains 93% pure quartz whereas granite typically contains only 40-60% quartz);
- Quartz is relatively maintenance-free
no sealing or polishing is required;
- Quartz is nonporous and non-absorbent, therefore it will not harbour bacteria;
- It is stain-resistant from common household items such as coffee, tea & wine; and
- Quartz also comes in a variety of colours and grains, some of which are similar to granite.
Some things you should consider when choosing this product:
- Quartz is also expensive In some cases and depending on the supplier, there is usually a range of pricing based on each style and colour;
- You do not expose quartz to abrasive or strong alkaline cleaners
You can essentially remove the finish;
Common misconceptions about quartz countertops:
Did you know that quartz can be damaged by force and nothing is chip-proof. You may notice chips around your under mount sink or under the countertop just above the dishwasher. Quartz surfaces can also be damaged by sudden or a rapid change of temperature. You do not want take a hot pot off the stove and place it directly on a cold countertop.
I recommend that no matter what type of countertop you install, to always use a cutting board or hot pad. This will not only protect your countertop, but your knives and cookware as well.
Remember, it is smart to do your research before purchasing any product. Find out what is best for you and your needs. All quartz countertop suppliers will have product care and maintenance information available on their websites.
Looking for residential or interior design services in Ottawa? You can explore my services right here.